Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fantastic Backup Systems: WiebeTech RTX200


I recently added WiebeTech's RTX200 to my backup system, which now includes a first generation Drobo (with four internal 500 GB SATA drives), two 300 GB Seagate external drives, and one iOmega 500 GB drive. I've included the WiebeTech RTX200 to my backup system because I recently had THREE! -- yes, you read that right, THREE! -- LaCie external hard drives all fail in the course of one week! Or, to be more accurate, the LaCie housing failed. So I pulled the drives from the LaCie housing (two Seagate drives and one Samsung drive), and bought the WiebeTech system to house the old drives. The beauty of WiebeTech's system is that it allows you to hot swap drives. So instead of continuously buying new external drives, which consist of an internal drive encased in some kind of housing, you simply buy the internal drive and plug it into your WiebeTech bay whenever you need it. The particular WiebeTech box I bought is the RTX200H-QJ. It provides two docking bays and comes complete with FireWire 800, FireWire 400, USB2, eSATA connections.

Final note: When it comes to internal drives, I plan to stick with Digital Western, or Seagate, and avoid everything made by LaCie and Maxtor (which have both repeatedly failed me over the years).

No comments: