Monday, December 1, 2008

My New Website & A Couple Of Tips

Like most photographers, I shoot all kinds of things: individuals, couples, families, weddings, portraits, landscapes, to name a few. Since my interests are all over the map, I decided to create a portal site -- sunfellowphotography.com -- that linked to some of my main interests.

Now I have a couple tips for you:

1. Until recently, my primary website has been my wedding website. Since this website is a flash-based website, it is barely noticed by the search engines. To address this issue I created an html page that contained a long list of the various wedding professionals I work with, and recommend, in my home town of Sedona. Whenever a person types in "Sedona Wedding Photographer" (or something similar), my links page typically shows up in the top 10 hits, which keeps both me and my business prominently featured. As a community-building gesture, this links page also helps draw attention (and clients) to the friends and co-workers I have listed. And this, in turn, encourages them to reciprocate by adding links on their website back to mine.

2. Another idea is to create an html page consisting of favorable comments you have received from your clients and -- here's the important part -- if you have worked with other professionals in your area, list them on this page, too. For example, if you are in the wedding industry, you might list the wedding planners and officiants who worked with you on a given wedding. The search engines love pages like this and, again, will rank you higher by virtue of many topic-appropriate names and links being included on the same page.

No comments: