Sunday, June 13, 2010

Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera



I'm always on the lookout for something I can EASILY carry with me EVERYWHERE that allows me to shoot quick videos and snap quick photos with a minimum of fuss and muss -- and produce great results. Recently, Sher Stultz needed a small, inexpensive, high-quality video camera that she could take on the road to document her trip. After researching the current models that are available, and carefully comparing their features (and user reviews), I/we settled on this little beauty: The Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera. Along with shooting 1080p on SD and SDHC cards, this pocket-sized camera also allows you to connect a external microphone (which is critical for people who want decent sound in situations where the built-in mic falls short). Sher ordered the camera and we took it for a spin. I love it and have since recommended it to another friend, who had similar needs -- and a tight budget. I also plan to put my money where my mouth is and get one myself. It will replace a bulkier Panasonic HD video camera I've been carrying around with me, and give me longer battery life, better low-light capabilities, a 5 megapixel still camera, and, very important, a less intimidating, more informal presence when I pull it out to shoot someone or something.

For a very nice overview of this camera, including a list of recommended accessories, I encourage you to watch this video from Traffic Geyser. I've included a quick list of the accessories that are recommended in this video below, along with a few others that I think are worthwhile.


Zi8 & Recommended Accessories:

• Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera
• Transcend 16 GB Class 6 SDHC Flash Memory Card
• Audio Technica ATR-3350 Lavalier Omnidirectional Condenser Microphone
AZDEN ECZ-990 Super Cardioid Zoom Camcorder Microphone
• AV-JEFE CM520 Professional Lavalier Mic With 3.5mm Stereo Plug
Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone
• Manfrotto 785 Modo Maxi Photo Video Grip Head Tripod
High Density (Black) Neoprene Glove Case and Mini Tripod Combo for Kodak Zi8 HD Pocket Video Camera
Kodak Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery/KLIC 7004
• Kodak Remote Control for Zi8 Pocket Video Camera

Zi8 Features Include:

• A flexible swing-out USB arm
• Removable lithium-ion batteries that can be charged in or out of the camera
• SD card slot - so you can bring extra cards and keep on shooting
• 2.5-inch color LCD
• External microphone jack
• Full HD 1080p video capture
• Built-in electronic image stabilization
• 5MP still capture
• Improved low light performance
• Smart face-tracking technology

1 comment:

Maria said...

I just ordered it plus the 16 GB card you recommended. Having a recommendation from such a trusted expert is fabulous!