Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Animoto Mojo

Now here's an online service to get excited about. It's called Animoto and it creates MTV-style movies out of your photographs, music, and video clips. Writes EMorton, G4TV:

"It's like tossing a bunch of steel, glass and leather into a box, shaking it up and then opening the box to find a brand new Ferrari."

I agree. It's beautiful, well-designed, and exceptionally user-friendly. And your finished video can be posted all over the Net -- on YouTube, MySpace, Facebook, iGoogle, Blogger, and gobs of other websites that support embedded videos.

The only downside I've discovered is that Animoto, which is still in beta, has a few bugs -- the biggest being that it doesn't always render your Oscar winning slideshow in a timely fashion. Sometimes, in fact, it doesn't complete your product at all. But judging by how professionally Animoto has been put together, how quickly their support team responded to my emails, and how well it works when it does work, I expect this bug to be ironed out quickly.

Here's an example I created to showcase my wedding photography:



The cost: $3.00 per video, or $30.00 a year for unlimited videos. Here's how the folks behind Animoto describe themselves:

"Animoto Productions is a bunch of techies and film/tv producers who decided to lock themselves in a room together and nerd out.

"Their first release is Animoto, a web application that automatically generates professionally produced videos using their own patent-pending technology and high-end motion design. Each video is a fully customized orchestration of user-selected images and music. Produced on a widescreen format, Animoto videos have the visual energy of a music video and the emotional impact of a movie trailer.

"The heart of Animoto is its newly developed Cinematic Artificial Intelligence technology that thinks like an actual director and editor. It analyzes and combines user-selected images and music with the same sophisticated post-production skills & techniques that are used in television and film.

"Based in New York City with an office in San Francisco, the founders of Animoto include veterans of the entertainment industry and have produced shows for MTV, Comedy Central, & ABC, studied music in London, and played in indie rock bands in Seattle. They continue to innovate in the field of creative artificial intelligence. They plan to acquire Google next year."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey David,

Jason here, from Animoto. You are right that sometimes our rendering takes a wee-bit longer than it should. We average about 8 minutes of rendering per 30 seconds. That may seem like a long time, but really, given the amount of work our Artificial Intelligence is pumping out, it's not so bad. We just wish people could understand how much work is needed for our videos. But alas, that explanation would be boring tech-talk that few would listen to.

But thanks for the write-up!

Take care,
Jason

Anonymous said...

ooops... on someone else's computer at work. not rebecca. she wouldn't be pleased with me putting words in her mouth.

Best,
Jason

David Sunfellow said...

Hi Jason,

Wow. You found my blog on Animoto fast!

About the rendering times: Since signing up last night, I have created about seven videos, mostly remixes. Most of them have rendered in the time frame you outlined. A couple, however, were stuck in the rendering phase for several hours -- until I deleted them and started over. I used the link on the Animoto website to drop your support folks a quick email about this last night. I received an email from them this morning -- from someone who didn't identify themselves by name -- saying:

"You are so right about this happening. We've received numerous complaints about this occurring. I'm collecting all these reported cases this instance and sending them over to our TechCrew who will look this over ASAP."

As I mentioned in my blog, I think Animoto is a great product and view the rendering issue as a minor annoyance -- one which I'm sure you guys will have ironed out shortly. I've also put my money where my mouth is and signed up for a year's worth of Animoto videos. My prediction: Animoto will go viral, you guys will make millions, and I'll need to go into hiding from all the folks who think, after watching one of my Animot-powered videos, that I'm the best photographer on planet Earth...

Anonymous said...

Awesome David.

I'm really glad you had faith in us. Yeah, most do indeed take as long as you encountered. The other night was unusual. Thanks for being understanding about that.

Thanks again for the write-up, and if you ever have any suggestions, insights, rants or questions, never hesitate writing any of us at:

theguys@animoto.com

or posting on our ning group that we all check regularly:

http://animotoaddicts.ning.com

Thanks again,
Jason