Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Backup Using Mozy


If you read my blog on "Drobo: A Miracle Backup Solution", you know I'm a backup nut. You should be, too, if you aren't already. I've been solving my on site backup needs with a string of external hard drives and hope to use the Drobo backup system to begin to condense, simplify, and protect my on site backups. But what about off site backups (backups that will help you rebuild if, god forbid, your on site backups and/or primary systems are stolen or damaged)? One obvious solution is to make copies and store them with family and friends. Brother Mel suggests storing backup copies of your critical data in a bank security box. Apple computer has an online service for Mac users that allows them to store limited amounts of data on their servers. For more serious online backup that supports both Mac and PC platforms, you might want to check out Mozy. I just set up an account with them and for $4.95 a month you can get unlimited backup space -- and a free software program that automatically keeps your critical data backed up. Here's how they describe their service:

...

How It Works

1. Sign up for an account. Create a MozyHome user account which will allow you to download MozyHome software. Its quick, easy and our step-by-step instructions will guide you through the process.

2. Download and install software. MozyHome downloads in just seconds, and the installation is simple and fast.

3. Select files to be backed up.
Simply check the boxes next to the backup sets, or types of files you want to back up, and MozyHome does the rest. In addition to selecting files by backup sets, you also have the option of selecting specific files and directories.

- Open/locked file support: Mozy will back up your documents whether they're open or closed.

- 128-bit SSL encryption: The same technology used by banks secures your data during the backup process.

- 448-bit Blowfish encryption: Secures your files while in storage, providing peace of mind that your private data is safe from hackers.

- Automatic: Schedule the times to back up and MozyHome does the rest.

- New and changed file detection: MozyHome finds and saves the smallest changes.

- Backs up Outlook files: Disaster-proof email protection.

- Block-level incremental backup: After the initial backup, MozyHome only backs up files that have been added or changed, making subsequent backups lightning fast.

...

Being able to backup all your critical data on a remote server that encrypts your data and offers unlimited storage space for $4.95 a month seems like a good idea to me. I'm running my first backup as I write. So far, I've run into two problems: The Mac version of Mozy software is buggy (it is still in beta and crashed a couple times on me as I was configuring it); I'm discovering that while "unlimited storage space" sounds appealing, actually uploading large amounts of data via today's internet connections (even a high-speed, broadband connection) is going to take a very long time. Those two problems are, however, not enough to force me to throw in the towel. I plan to try Mozy for a month or two and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: