Friday, January 4, 2008

Ken Rockwell On Nikon D300


Excerpted From Ken Rockwell's D300 Page:

"Holy cow, without even trying my D300 is cranking out killer colors I never could get with any other camera, digital or film. Along with the psycho colors, the dynamic-range controlling firmware (cryptically called 'Active D-Lighting' by Nikon) really works and is giving me better highlights than I've ever seen with digital capture. My D300 is making better images than any of my other cameras, which is a "first for me to say that since my color reference, at least up until yesterday, was Fuji Velvia 50. I think I prefer my D300."

............

"my D300 has surprised me by being the first digital camera that actually makes visibly better photos than my other Nikon cameras! it does this on both artistic and technical levels. My D300 delivers clearly superior images directly from the camera as JPGs. I never shoot raw since I shoot too much to manage it in NEF.

"As every artist knows, the most important technical aspects of any image (besides lighting and composition) are tone (light and dark) and color. The D300 clearly can have bolder color than any previous Nikon, and also has some fancy tricks that really work to render light and dark as I want them."


...........

"I'm renaming Nikon's magnificent but stupidly-named 'Active D-Lighting' (ADL) as 'Automatic Dynamic Range Accommodation' (ADRA). That's what it does: it applies the zone system and alters exposure as well as development for each shot in order to accommodate the scene's dynamic range. It also could be called 'Adaptive Dynamic Range' or ADR.

"Unlike the awful post-processing gimmick called 'D-Lighting,' this pre-correcting system works great...

"Unlike the crappy D-Lighting post-processing of the D40 and D80, this lightening is subtle and doesn't have those horrific shadows around them as D-Lighting did. I love ADL so much I leave it on all the time.

"ADL really does improve my biggest complaint against digital cameras. This feature automatically identifies highlight areas that will be lost, and does its best to bring them under control. It works, and it works automatically."


...........

"The D300 has an uncanny ability to eliminate lateral chromatic aberration (LCA or lateral color fringes, those green and magenta halos that often appear on bright edges at the sides of an image).

"I kid you not: the 10.5mm DX and manual focus 8mm AI-s fisheyes somehow lose their color fringes and snap back into perfection in the corners. The 24-70mm f/2.8 has a little LCA at 24mm on the D200, and it also goes away with the D300. Ditto with the 18-200mm VR at 18mm: no more fringes on the D300!"

No comments: